welcome Pictures, Images and Photos

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I don't care how old this book is, it shouldn't be a suprise to anyone that knows me that I don't keep up with book series. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, which I'm sure everyone knows. I did start to read this years ago, and then I completely stopped. Oh well, as old as this book is, it's still a compelling read. I'm a huge fantasy fanatic, so I already loved Harry Potter when the series began. I think this book was great, but I can't really relate to Harry. No, I don't mean I can't relate to living in a world of wizards, but rather to his personality. Thinking about this chamber, the basilisk, pretty much every scary thing in Harry Potter, I can't imagine myself facing it. So, naturally, it feels a bit strange to read about how he actually bear all this. Honestly, being in those hallways at the school is enough to scare me out of my mind. I know, the hallways aren't really an issue for the book, so I'll get back on topic.
As I was typing, Harry's valiant behavior is intriguing to read. To picture myself as a person that brave is already quite an adventure, but then to picture myself staring down mutant spiders is just incredible. I think I agree more with Ron's personality. If I saw a sign, like a trail of spiders, I think I'd be already too creeped out to follow it, especially when it's a dark forest.
Aside from the spiders and giant basilisk, the book had that necessary step towards mystery and humour.
This book is great for fantasy lovers, and anyone who likes mysteriously creepy storylines that are far from ordinary.

I don't really have much to say about this book, seeing as how Harry's actions all involve being brave in some way, and how I can't help but think about how I would chicken out at every point Harry would take a chance.

I think J.K. Rowling did a good job setting up these interesting storylines, making it scary (for me) and still adding a bit of humour with the house elf, Dobby, and that "famous" coward Lockhart.

Well, thinking a bit more about it, I guess I can add in my thoughts about the chamber itself. It sort of feels like a strange nightmare. It's pretty fine when he first gets to Ginny, and talks to Riddle, but once he runs off into the tunnels of the chambers, things naturally get scarier. I feel like, if I had enough courage to even be in that chamber, I'd wanna somehow escape the basilisk without going into the tunnels. It feels strangely safer where Ginny is lying, I guess because, for one thing, it doesn't give off such a lonely feeling, and also because I wouldn't wanna be trapped in tunnels with a giant snake tailing me, but rather out in the open where I can run around like a maniac and scream for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment