The Pact ENDING *random cheers from the audience*
I don't know why people are so against Jodi Picoult. I've heard from someone that she shows no characterization. But, really? There's such an incredible amount of depth, I nearly cried at different points in the book, especially near the end. I'm so glad I read this book. I should read more of her books, but I guess I should do it outside of independent reading since I need to read a variety. Anyway, the last few sections of the book were so powerful. I really want to blurt out the ending, but I think it's better to pretend to be unaware of pretty much everyone already having read the book, and say that I don't want to give away the ending.
I love what Chris does though. He stands in front of the state, doing what no lawyer would ever have their clients do, and spoke the truth. I was totally rooting for him during that, because I really imagined how I would feel if I was him. I would hate to see all these people acting like they know more than me about a traumatic event when I was actually there and they weren't...at all.
I just can't help but love it. Chris risks the entire case because he doesn't want to win on lies, but rather on truth.
I love Jodi Picoult because of this book, regardless of shallow people that don't think she can't write for her life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First off, I'd like to say that the title was fitting because I read three Jodi Picoult books last year including Nineteen Minutes, My Sister's Keeper and Change of Heart. And, after reading/crying through three of her endings, I'm almost positive that The Pact deserves a yay as well. I actually have heard some people call Jodi Picoult's writing awful but I would recommend the three books I read by her to anyone and my sister owns basically everybook Jodi has ever written and has basically devoured them all. I agree with the whole variety thing because I took breaks between Jodi Picoult and it helps. And that doesn't mean I don't think that her books are worth reading one after another it's just that her writing style is very different. But it's a good kind of different because I like the way she goes from character to character. I've never read The Pact but I planned to so I can't say if she does the each-chapter-is-really-just-the-account-of-a-specific-character type of novel but I think she might. Another reason I suggest not reading Jodi Picoult's books one after another is because many of them are very addicting and sad so it's good to not be sucked into a book/crying all the time if you know what I mean. About your blog specifically, I like how you did not spoil the ending but included something that you liked about the book. Your vagueness was very appreciated =]
ReplyDeleteGood job!
Allie
:) Well the chapters in The Pact are more like, Then, and Now; back and forth. In a way, it really is a book of two stories. I guess that could give it the Picoult feel that she has in her other books of describing different characters. I actually started My Sister's Keeper, I just didn't do any blog entries yet. But I see what you mean about that. The chapters in My Sister's Keeper are very different from The Pact.
ReplyDeleteI don't know, do you think I should stop with the book for a while instead of stringing one Picoult book after another? The Pact was amazing, and from the base of the story of My Sister's Keeper it already seems like it will have the same resulting appeal, so I don't wanna dry out the drama theme or anything.
I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult books as well (My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes and The Pact). I've loved every one of them, and this was no exception. I haven't heard that much about people disliking Jodi Picoult's writing style, but I have heard of some schools banning her books because of the content. Apparently some parents are outraged about suicides, murders, school shootings and what is really going on in the heads of teenagers--things that really matter and things that we need to know. I agree that what Chris did was really moving. To have the courage to do something like that when everyone is against you is unbelievable. Jodi Picoult never fails to move readers. I agree with Allie about not reading a bunch of Jodi Picoult books successively, though; it can get really overwhelming. Also, her books tend to be similar in terms of setting and qualities. I still love reading her books though.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you incorporated a very big event in this blog entry. It really allows whoever is reading this to understand the emotions involved in a story like this. Also, you really seem to have a voice in your entries. Keep it up!
I like the realism she shows a lot. I find it a bit sad that some parents want to hide the real world from their children. If the kids are in their teen years, they should definitely be allowed to expose themselves to these issues. Ignoring it only makes things worse. I guess that's why countries like Italy and France expose their children to reality from the get-go with the original Pinocchio and Little Red Riding Hood.
ReplyDelete:) Thanks. I guess I should switch books soon then.